Sunday, August 26, 2012

Something different


Elephants on Granite?
   I have put aside the graphite pencils for colored pencils and I have traded my paper for rock this time. It has been bothering me that as much as I like the drawings and paintings I create they are not unique, and they easily get lost in the vast sea of great art out there in the world. That sameness leaves me wondering why I keep doing it, 
and that sameness leaves me feeling unmotivated to create more of the same. 
So I begin a pursuit of something different, something unique. I have been using 
river rock as a canvas for some time with waterslide decals made from my drawings, but that too has become repetitive, un challenging and again, more of the same. I have seen a lot of artists who paint animals on rocks, they cover the whole rock with paint and make it look like an animal. The qualities that make me pick up a particular rock are color,  pattern, texture, and shape and the last thing I want to do is hide them under a layer of paint. So with my first attempt I have chosen a rather large 8" wide, 7" deep and 5" high piece of what I believe to be granite, and weighs in at approximately 13lbs. I used colored pencil to enhance the rusty color of the rock behind the elephants and incorporated the natural pattern in the rock with the details in the elephants. Over all I am very satisfied with this first attempt at something different and I have several more ideas that I can't wait to get started on !

5 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! Seems the perfect medium for the subject matter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lucy, and I love your bags! I don't knit but My fathers girlfriend has a shop in Frenchtown NJ called The Spinnery. I love to go in and look at all of the knitting and spinning supplies. Your work is beautiful, best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your art is very well done!!just beautiful!! Do you know about FAA ?? (fineartamerica.com)you can post your work for free or pay a small fee to sell prints.I'm an artist too,plus I dabble in many other crafts...the sky is the limit.Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now i have to spend the time catching up with *you*. wonderful work. i so not surprised :-)

    ReplyDelete